Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Guage envy. Thinking about adding getting into 16m

  1. #1
    Matt Pacini
    Guest Matt Pacini's Avatar

    Post

    Hey, I just recently took the plunge, and got a Canon Scoopic 16mm camera.
    It's very cool, and I just thought I'd tell everyone here, that there are quite a few of them on ebay right now, at the lowest prices I've ever seen them.
    I got mine, (an "M" ) for $321.00
    I've figured out how to build a simple battery pack that uses rechargeable AA batteries from Radio Shack, & I'll tell you how to do it, so check it out.

    Matt Pacini

    ------------------

  2. #2
    jocko
    Guest jocko's Avatar

    Post

    Matt,
    Are you re-celling the original battery packs..or did you build an external pack with the xlr type connector..

    Neil

    ------------------

  3. #3
    jocko
    Guest jocko's Avatar

    Post

    Matt,
    Are you re-celling the original battery packs..or did you build an external pack with the xlr type connector..

    Neil

    ------------------

  4. #4
    c_77
    Guest c_77's Avatar

    Wink

    That's great. I'm sure many of us want, or intend to shoot in 16mm someday...What made you choose a Scoopic M over, say, a Beaulieu R16?
    Just wondering-Chris

    ------------------

  5. #5
    Matt Pacini
    Guest Matt Pacini's Avatar

    Post

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Courier, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by c_77:
    That's great. I'm sure many of us want, or intend to shoot in 16mm someday...What made you choose a Scoopic M over, say, a Beaulieu R16?
    Just wondering-Chris

    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

    I tried an R-16 once, and it was tooooo noisy! Nice camera, but just too freakin' much whirring going on, so I killed that idea.
    Plus, kind of weird to handle I thought.

    Jocko, I made my own battery setup, having nothing to do with the original Canon batteries, because mine didn't come with any, and I didn't want to pay big bucks for the ones you see on ebay (like $150!!!).
    This is simply made entirely from parts from Radio Shack, which will take you like an hour at most to make.
    I can't believe it was this easy.
    I'm thinking of selling them on ebay, but probably people will look at it when they get it and go, "hey, I could have made this in about 15 mintues! What the hell?" and think I ripped them off!

    I'm still working on my website and hosting situation, so I can't post pictures yet, but if you're really interested, I'll try to get you the part numbers & stuff.
    Really, it's easy. I'm not a master modification guy like Roger, so if I can do this, a chimp can do it.


    Matt Pacini


    ------------------

  6. #6
    Nigel
    Guest Nigel's Avatar

    Post

    Way to go!! Why not an ArriS/B???

    ------------------

  7. #7
    Matt Pacini
    Guest Matt Pacini's Avatar

    Post

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Courier, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nigel:
    Way to go!! Why not an ArriS/B???

    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>


    (Matt Pacini responds):
    You find me an Arri for $321.00 and I'll switch in a second!
    I would have started shooting 16mm long ago, but until now, I couldn't afford it.


    ------------------

  8. #8
    Mr_Floppy
    Guest Mr_Floppy's Avatar

    Post

    Why not a Krasnogorsk-3? Them are really cheap at ebay, and the shutthering mirror and lens are superb. I've worked with one of them, and I fell in love with my k.3.

    For some more bucks (less than 500) you can add a crystal motor and convert it to super16, and it will bring you images comparable to what an arri bl can.

    Jose

    ------------------

  9. #9
    MovieStuff
    Guest MovieStuff's Avatar

    Post

    Well, seeing as I was the one that talked Matt into the Scoopic, I guess I should defend the choice a bit. Matt wanted to dip his toes into 16mm but didn't have a huge budget (who does?). Also, there is always a certain level of anxiety when moving into a larger format compared to the "comfort zone" that smaller formats create. This is the same for people shooting in 16mm when they move up to 35mm and 35mm shooters when they move up to IMAX, etc. Video shooters are scared to death of super 8 and seem to never make that leap!

    Anyway, a Scoopic is made just like a big fat super 8 camera, therefore, I felt the leap to 16mm would be easier with that camera than others. Also, they're cheap as dirt, so when Matt outgrows it (and I know he will) he won't have a fortune invested in something and can sell it easily on ebay damn near for what he paid for it; maybe more since the market is so fickle.

    In all, I think that Scoopics are terrific cameras for super 8 shooters that want to dip into the 16mm world. The controls, the beam splitter viewing, the auto loading, etc all make for an easy and familiar transition. Not to mention that a Canon lens isn't exactly a Coke bottle.

    Anyway, as far as one 16mm camera putting out an image uniquely different than another, I personally think that's an elitist myth. I have shot and intercut footage with all kinds of cameras, from Scoopics to Beaulieus to Arris to Eclairs. I have yet to find anyone that can tell the difference between one clip and the other when tranferred to video. So the Scoopic should service Matt well until he feels the need for interchangable lenses and other features not found on the Scoopic.



    ------------------
    Roger Evans
    MovieStuff
    http://www.afterimagephoto.tv/moviestuff.html

  10. #10
    Matt Pacini
    Guest Matt Pacini's Avatar

    Post

    Yeah, Roger's right.
    Actually, I had decided to get a Scoopic about 1.5 years ago, and even bought the mag adapter and a 400ft magazine, but when I saw that Scoopic MS's were going for about $2K then I dropped the idea and sold the stuff.
    So Roger convinced me to take up the idea again, and I was all set to get a CP16, when I started seeing cheap Scoopics show up.
    Roger has shot on one, and told me all about the camera, so I though, hey, why not?
    As far as the K-3 goes, I just can't see myself getting a wind-up camera!
    Plus I heard they are big time noisy.

    So I'll use this for now, but I'm keeping my eye out for a good priced CP16R, and I'm sure that will be my next camera.
    Then I can use my Nikon still lenses on it!
    (including my cool Peleng 8mm wide angle!)

    Matt Pacini

    ------------------

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •